The Werewolf of Wedgewood Forest

A Creative Writing Piece

By Cassie Mullenbach

Wallpaper trees, night, nature, hills, the moon, trees, nature, night,  hills, the moon images for desktop, section природа - download

The Werewolf of Wedgewood Forest

Cold.

That’s how the wind hits me as I leave my apartment for the night.

I can’t stay inside tonight.  It’s already Friday.  The 26th.

I almost forgot about it until I started feeling more anxious at work today.

 

As I’m walking up the street, I catch a few acquaintances heading to watch a new movie.

I wish I could go too, but I can’t let them know.  I don’t know what they would do.

They would never want to talk to me again.  They’d turn me in.

I continue walking until I reach the limits of Wedgewood Forest.

 

PRIVATE PROPERTY”, says the red and white sign on the gate.

I make sure no one is around this time, and then slip past the metal fence.

Unpleasant things have happened in this forest in the past.  I would know…

I guess that’s why I’m always welcome here.

 

I start my trek further into the forest.

I need to get as deep as I can.  I can’t let anyone see me.

This usually takes around 15 minutes.

I eventually reach my first shelter for the night.

 

I look up to the sky and see that the moon is almost directly above me.

Oh great.  I’m later than usual.  I guess I won’t have as much time to prepare this month. 

That’s probably okay.  At least I took some wolfsbane before I left home.

No amount of readiness would have truly helped me physically prepare for this anyways.

 

Slowly, I begin to feel the hair on the back of my neck perk up.  Here we go.

My joints and bones start to move.  The transformation is painful.  Initially.

Relax.  Then the adrenaline kicks in eventually and the pain goes away.

I’ve been getting a little better at controlling that recently.

 

The process is over in just under 5 minutes.

I’m finally free.  Free to roam the forest in my true skin.

I’m starving.  My senses kick into gear and I start running towards the horizon towards my prey.

I can feel the cold wind blowing through my hair as I pick up speed.

 

After having a midnight snack, my appetite feels satisfied for the night.

I begin to follow the moonlit path towards Soresu Hill.  The highest point in the forest.

From here, I can see the lights of the town in the distance.

I stand at the top of the hill for a few hours.  Just watching.

 

These nights remind me of how alone I am.

I’ve been coming to Wedgewood Forest for almost two years now.

Although there have been some visitors, I haven’t found anyone like me. 

Get over yourself.  Why would you think anyone else would be like this?

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

After reflecting for a while, I can feel the night start to fade away. 

The moonlight is slowly growing dimmer as it sinks into the horizon.

I start to head down Soresu Hill back to my shelter.

I left my backpack there for when I change back.

 

Eventually, the sun starts peeking through the trees.

I feel my body start to switch back to its previous form.

I’ve been getting better at the controlling the reverse transformation as well.

It doesn’t feel normal after a whole night of being different.  Free

 

After that is over, I feel hungry again.  Tired.

Luckily, I brought my backpack that has a Gatorade and a bag of trail mix for the walk back.

Good thing today is a Saturday, and I don’t have to go to work.

I’m sick of making up excuses for being tired after a long night.

 

Before I finish my morning snack, I reach the fenced limits of Wedgewood Forest.

It should be early enough that no one should be out to see me. 

I sneak past the metal fence again and step out into an empty street.

Perfect.  No witnesses this time.

 

I reach my apartment, unlock the door, and set my stuff down on the table.

I plan on spending the whole day resting.  I haven’t slept in almost 24 hours.

I close my blinds and sink into my warm, soft bed. 

I doze off dreaming of one day being free from hiding my identity from others.  My true self...

The werewolf of Wedgewood Forest.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Werewolf Sightings Map

The Werewolf and its Inherently Queer Experience (CAPSTONE)

Werewolf Keywords - Vocabulary